Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Gluten Free Thanksgiving Tips!

As I start the holiday cooking for my brother- in- law's feast, I thought I'd pass along some tricks I use. Happy and safe holiday to all. 

Gluten Free Cornbread
Glutino Yankee cornbread mix
If you're not using dairy or egg:
Substitute one 3.9 oz applesauce-- that's one individual cup-- and one cup Rice Dream for the 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk the Glutino box suggests. 

I use Ener-G Egg Replacer -- doesn't  everybody!

Stuffing for mushrooms 
(FYI stuffed mushrooms are an Italian  American must on the Thanksgiving table-- as is broccoli rabe)
To substitute for bread crumbs--this year for the stuffed mushrooms-- I use plain
Rice Chex. I pulse them in the blender until coarsely ground. And mix in my salt, pepper, minced garlic and parsley. And viola! Mushroom stuffing. 

 I never used cheese, so don't have to substitute for it!
I always used olive oil instead of butter to coat the bottom if baking dish and I drizzle water and olive oil over the pre cooked mushrooms-- with the stuffing in it-- to keep it moist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment